Monday, April 30, 2012

A Week in the Life: Saturday, April 21st


7:30am – I wake up, eat breakfast, tidy up my room, and prep for the rest of the day.
9:30am – I give 30 minutes of class which consists of hangman, reading comprehension, and yelling at some girls for painting their nails ("Falta de respeito!”)
10:00am – I head to a professor meeting at the Centro de Juventude.  Almost no one is there yet and it’s pretty hot, so I go to buy some fresh water at the loja next door.  I come back and it’s still pretty empty.  I sit down to jot down a to-do list and realize I’ve forgotten a pen, so I run to another loja to buy a pen.
10:40am – The directora of our school finally arrives and we start.  I try to think of it as a good chance to practice my Portuguese listening comprehension skills, but the theme (Varios subsistemas num unico sistema) just isn’t interesting, even when it’s in your native language.  People here have a strange need to define every single term in their powerpoint presentations.  In this case, the Ministry of Education guy is lecturing to a group of 30 professors and decides to give us the entire history of the CV education system, define words like “subsystem,” and explain the difference between primary and secondary education.  Buddy…I think we’ve got that all down by now.  I kind of regretted yelling at my students for painting their nails because I wanted to be doing the same thing.

the cultural center / youth center where we had our meeting 
and where (hopefully) I'll soon be giving adult classes! 

1pm – The meeting finally ends (half an hour later than my classes would have ended) and I talk to two of my fellow professors about going to our meeting about Camp Saninclau in Fajã.  They both go home to change, but tell me to come get them when I find a car.  I run home and get my things, find a car, and go to find them.  One is at his restaurant with some of the other professors, so while waiting for the other, we all stand around chatting and have some beers.  I appreciate being treated like “one of the guys,” but it’s also 1:30 pm and I’m hungry and anxious to get to our meeting.  Finally our other colleague shows up and we head out to find our car which is now gone.  We manage to find another pretty quickly and are on our way!

2:30pm – The meeting starts and goes really well!  Everyone is energetic and full of ideas.  6 of our 7 PCVs are there and there are 5 host country nationals there to help, too.  We cover everything we need to talk about and set dates for further meetings and for handing out donation requests, etc.

4:30pm – After a delicious lunch of dirty rice, I head to Canto de Fajã to visit Txilite’s family.  He’s coming back to Tarrafal with me, but I wanted to go visit his mom and grandmother’s house because I don’t get out there very much anymore and last time I saw them they called me an ingrata!  Personal relationships are very important here and require a lot of nurturing.  I catch a boleia from Fajã de Baixo to Canto and walk the rest of the half hour to their house, which is way out in the middle of nowhere.  People there seem to know me by now, although I still have trouble placing peoples’ faces.  When I reach the chafariz (water source), Txilite’s mom, Lina, is there with her donkey to panha agua.  I offer to help her, but of course she tells me no and sends me on my way.  I get to the house and Bia (Lina’s mother) insists that I come in and tra carga (take off my backpack).  We chat for awhile with one of her neighbors that is there.  Then, I watch a game show for a few minutes with Iverson, Txilite’s little brother.  It’s a kind of cool show where they have students from around Cape Verde go to Praia to compete in a whole range of middle school level questions.  After awhile, Lina comes back and I join Txilite for lunch.  I’m not hungry since I’ve just eaten, so Lina insists that I take some modje capote (traditional goat stew) home with me.  She sends me enough for 4 people, saying then I won’t have to cook dinner.  They also send along a giant sweet potato that’s been cooked over the open fire – soooo sabe!

Txilite's family's house in Canto de Fajã

6pm – It’s time to leave so we can catch a car back to Tarrafal.  We stop for a few minutes at the house of the mother of one of my teacher colleagues.  He and his family are there for the weekend.  We don’t have time to stay for dinner, so they send me on my way with a papaya.  I love going to Canto de Fajã :) It saves me days of cooking and grocery shopping.
6:30pm – We reach the road and wait for a car.  We get lucky and one of my students is on her way back from the airport with her mom, so they give us a boleia back to Tarrafal.  I can’t believe my luck – I never get this many free rides!
7pm – We have plans to go to a birthday party, but not until after 10pm, so we decide to relax and watch a movie (Transformers 3 – my selection of Portuguese-subtitled films has come from my students and is VERY limited).

Lume d'Lenha - probably the tastiest food in Tflaw, owned by our colleague; this is where the festa d'ano (birthday party) was held

9pm – I do some yoga and shower and get ready for the party.  We decide to leave around 10:30 to da volta around town before actually heading there.
11pm - There is still no one at the festa and we’re hungry and bored, so we continue walking around town.  Unfortunately, there are students at nearly every bar and we like to avoid drinking around them, so we end up back at the restaurant that’s hosting the party and wait for people to show up.
12:30am – People are finally showing up.  There is music and food and drink and good conversation.  We dance and enjoy ourselves for awhile, but by 2AM we’re pretty tired and both Txilite and Alexandra are not feeling well.  We try to say our goodbyes, but they insist that we must stay to canta parabens (sing Happy Birthday) and eat some cake.
2:30am – The cake finally comes out, so we sing and kiss the birthday girl and then sneak out before they can find another reason to make us stay.

For your listening pleasure, I present: "Chop My Money" - currently the most popular song in Cape Verde (although performed by Akon, who is Senegalese)

No comments:

Post a Comment